Alternative meeting points to Flagstaff station forecourt will be trialled on some Sunday walks during the Winter and Spring 2018 programs. This is in response to occasional difficulties in getting enough car drivers at the regular CBD meeting point. The new meeting places will be at major train stations in the direction of the start point of the walk, making it convenient for the majority of walkers to meet there. Leaders will be discouraging anyone from driving directly to the walk location unless they really do live closer to it than the new meeting point. Car-pooling will be arranged - there is plenty of car-parking at the stations, so even if you do have a car, you are encouraged to either give others a lift or leave your vehicle behind and travel up with someone else in groups of 4-5. Please take note of the new petrol-sharing policy below.
Meeting times will still be the standard 8.45am for a 9.00am departure unless otherwise advised. This will enable and earlier start (and hence earlier finish!) on these walks, addressing complaints about getting back too late.
The new locations are described below, and are also referred to against the respective Sunday walk on the Walks Program.
1) Ringwood station - in front of the RSL on Station St. (for walks east of Melbourne - first usage will be Marysville, 8th July)
2) Upper Ferntree Gully station - outside the Visitor Information Centre (for walks in the Dandenongs, first use will be Olinda, 15th July).
3) Sunbury station (for walks north of Melbourne, eg Mt Macedon)
4) Laverton station (for walks SW of Melbourne, eg Brisbane Ranges, You Yangs)
5) Frankston station (for walks on the Mornington Peninsula).