Christmas-NY Accommodated Trip: Venus Bay
Venus Bay is located on the Victorian coastline between Inverloch and Wilson’s Prom. It is a beach tourist town but is an ideal setting for a summer bushwalking trip with various walks in the surrounding areas.
The trip is for 4 nights (27-31/12) staying in 4 rental houses in the Venus Bay area. Cost is $203 + trip fees for the 4 nights.
There will be 3 full day walks of moderate difficulty. Note that one of the walks involves some rock scrambling, etc.
You will be required to bring your own lunch on the walks but have the option of self catering or purchasing the remaining meals. There will be the option to gather at the local pub for a meal on the last night.
The trip document is available here: venusbayxmas2021
The accommodation comprises 4 self-contained rental houses with various configurations (double, single, bunk) with a maximum of 2 people allocated per bedroom. These are located in different parts of Venus Bay but the township is relatively small.
Itinerary and Walk Descriptions
There will be three full day and one 1/2 day walk:
- A semi circuit walk from along the Smythe Coastal reserve. This is a moderately easy coastal walk with beach walking. (13km, 4hr). )
- Walkerville to Cape Liptrap lighthouse. This involves beach walking, rock hopping & scrambling, and a final short but steep climb through scrub to the lighthouse area. (15km, 5h.)
- Hoddle Mountain Trail (Fish creek-Mt Nicoll circuit walk). This walk starts in Fish Creek, follows the Great Southern Rail Trail before circling through Mt Nicoll & Lavers Hill and back to Fish Creek. (17km, 6hrs [full circuit], or 11km with a car shuffle)
Should you Participate?
We need to follow all state government guidelines regarding COVID-19, hence if you are required to be in quarantine or isolation, live in a restricted postcode (if and when designated by state government) or are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms including the following, you should NOT be doing this walk:
- Chills or sweats
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Loss or change in sense of smell or taste
- Some people may also experience headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you or anyone in your household feels sick in any way, please cancel. If you become unwell during the walk please notify your Leader immediately.
If you are in a high risk category, including being elderly or having a pre-existing medical condition, you should consider carefully whether you participate as the Club will accept no liability if you choose to participate.
Refer also to the Victoria state government Coronavirus page
Social Distancing and Good Hygiene
Before, during and after the walk, please practice social distancing and good hygiene to minimise the risk of infection: Hygiene and physical distancing
• Carry a mask and wear it when required by the state government.
• Maintain a distance of 1.5 metres between yourself and other walkers.
• Do not share food / water / equipment, or shake hands.
• Use tissues and do not dispose of these in the bush. Carry a plastic bag for disposing of tissues.
• Cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
• Wash hands or use hand sanitiser when required.
If you are not able to practice good hygiene your Leader will ask you to leave the walk.
Transport to and from the walk location is by car. Please indicate your transport requirements and preferences on the booking request form when you book in.
If you don’t have a car, we can’t guarantee to provide you with a lift – this will depend on available drivers and their locations.
Drivers can choose whether they wish to take passengers or not.
For drivers who agree to accept a passenger, the Victorian State Government guidelines during Victoria’s CovidSafe restrictions are:
You can have passengers in your car. Where possible:
- your passenger should sit in the back seat in order to maintain physical distancing;
- all passengers should wear a fitted face mask in the car if not from your household;
- increase ventilation in the vehicle by opening windows wherever possible and avoid having air-conditioning on recirculate;
- clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in the vehicle regularly.
Passengers must pay the driver their share of car-pooling costs as described on the Car-pooling page. Please bring cash for this purpose.
Booking is required for this walk.
For harder-graded walks, the leader has the right not to accept bookings from anyone they consider is not sufficiently fit or experienced to undertake it, so please provide as much relevant information as you can when booking. Unless the leader knows you well, please indicate what similar walks you have done recently (i.e. in the past few months) to give the leader confidence that you are capable of doing this walk.
The Leader will confirm your acceptance on the walk, or not, via email. The leader will provide details of where and when to meet.
Members: $ 203 + Booking fee (nil) = $203 Total.
Non-members: $ 203 + Booking fee ($10) = $213 Total.
All trip fees must be prepaid. Payment by Paypal or card is the quickest method, but if you choose to pay by EFT please follow the instruction to email the Treasurer with your payment details.
If you need to cancel, please advise the leader as soon as possible, so that someone else has the opportunity.
If you have made your payment but need to cancel, we will only provide you with a refund if we can find a replacement for you. However, if you need to cancel because you are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms, then we will provide you with a full refund (even if a replacement can’t be found).
What to Bring
• Hand Sanitiser
• Face Mask
• All the equipment, clothing, food and water you will need for the walks and overnight stays (refer Trip details above).
Refer to our Gear Checklist page for more details, or discuss with the leader. If you are not properly equipped, the walk leader can decide not to let you participate on this walk.
Still have questions?
Check out Joining a walk and your safety
Check out What happens on a walk.
Check out Weekend and extended walks.
Check out our Covid-19 status.
Contact the leader using the “Enquiry” button.
December 27, 2021 9:00 pm
December 31, 2021 2:00 pm