Dandenong Ranges Walk – with public transport
NOTE: Please read the sections Should you Participate, Social Distancing and Good Hygiene and Transport before booking into this walk.
Distance: 14km with some good hills.
From Upper Ferntree Gully Station the walk starts with a good solid uphill climb of about 400m in about 3km. We then walk our way through the National Park stopping to eat our lunches enroute before finishing the walk at Belgrave Station. From Belgrave we return to Upper Ferntree Gully Station and Melbourne on the train. Walk distance about 14km.
Should you Participate?
We need to follow all state government guidelines regarding COVID-19, hence if you are required to be in quarantine or isolation, live in a restricted postcode (if and when designated by state government) or are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms including the following, you should NOT be doing this walk:
- Loss or change in sense of smell or taste
- Chills or sweats
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- In certain circumstances headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea may also be considered.
If you or anyone in your household feels sick in any way, please cancel. If you become unwell during the walk please notify your Leader immediately.
If you are in a high risk category, including being elderly or having a pre-existing medical condition, you should consider carefully whether you participate as the Club will accept no liability if you choose to participate.
Refer also to the Victoria state government Coronavirus page
Social Distancing and Good Hygiene
Before, during and after the walk, please practice social distancing and good hygiene to minimise the risk of infection:
• Carry a mask and wear it when required.
- Outdoors, you need to wear a mask where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- You must wear a mask when indoors (e.g. public toilets, huts, exploring a cave, cafe).
- Refer to: https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/face-masks-vic-covid-19
• Maintain a distance of 1.5 metres between yourself and other walkers.
• Do not share food / water / equipment, or shake hands.
• Use tissues and do not dispose of these in the bush. Carry a plastic bag for disposing of tissues.
• Cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
• Wash hands or use sanitiser after contact with shared surfaces, e.g. gates, fences, benches, petrol pumps.
If you are not able to practice good hygiene your Leader will ask you to leave the walk.
You need to make your own way to and from the walk location.
During the pandemic, the leader will not arrange car pooling. If you choose to car pool with a friend or family member, you do so at your own risk.
If you choose to use public transport, you do so at your own risk, but please follow social distancing and good hygiene practices as much as possible.
If you cannot make your own way to the start of the walk, please DO NOT book.
Booking is required for this walk. The Leader will confirm your acceptance on the walk, or not, via email. The leader will provide details of where and when to meet.
If you need to cancel, please advise the leader as soon as possible, so that someone else has the opportunity.
Members: free. Non-members: $7.
To avoid handling cash, non-members are required to pre-pay their booking fee. Unless there are exceptional circumstances, there will be no refunds. So please do not book unless you are fully committed to walking.
Payment by Paypal or card is the quickest method, but if you choose to pay by EFT please follow the instruction to email the Treasurer with your payment details.
What to bring
• Myki Card for train.
• Hand Sanitiser
• Face Mask
• Day pack
• Sufficient water (2 litres, more on hot summer days)
• Lunch and snacks
• Hat, sun screen
• Suitable outdoor clothing (no jeans/sneakers!)
• Rainwear & warm jacket
• Proper walking shoes/boots
Refer to our Gear Checklist page for more details. If you are not properly equipped, the walk leader can decide not to let you participate on this walk.
Still have questions?
Check out Joining a walk and your safety
Check out What happens on a walk.
Check out Day walks and social activities.
Check out our Covid-19 status.
Contact the leader using the “Enquiry” button.
November 28, 2020 9:57 am
November 28, 2020 3:00 pm