Eastern Dandenong Ranges Trail
- This trail follows the Puffing Billy steam railway through the Dandenong Ranges from Clematis/Emerald to Gembrook.
- Whilst only 15km long, this trail offers a full range of experiences for users – hills, forests, farms, rural villages, picnic facilities, heritage railway.
- It does not follow the follow the railway in some locations and has steeper gradients.
- The lovely country villages of Emerald, Cockatoo and Gembrook have full facilities available.
- Emerald Lake, Wright Forest and mountain farms are highlights along the way.
We will use public transport to return from the end of the walk, so you must bring your MYKI.
Expect the walk itself to take 5 hours or longer including lunch and other stops, depending on the pace of the group and the frequency and duration of stops.
If time permits, we will endeavour to find a place for afternoon tea or drinks after the walk for those interested.
Transport to and from the walk location is by car or public transport. Please indicate your transport requirements and preferences on the booking request form when you book in.
If you don’t have a car, we can’t guarantee to provide you with a lift – this will depend on available drivers and their locations, however, the leader will provide directions for travel to the walk by public transport.
Passengers must pay the driver their share of car-pooling costs as described on the Car-pooling page. Please discuss the preferred method of payment with your driver.
Booking is required for this walk. Please indicate what similar walks you have done recently (i.e. in the past few months) to give the leader confidence that you are capable of doing this one. Refer to Walking Grades which, in conjunction with the walk description, will help you assess whether you have the required walking fitness and experience to do this walk.
The Leader will confirm your acceptance on the walk, or not, via email. The leader will provide details of where and when to meet.
By booking into this event you acknowledge that you agree to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Members: free. Non-members: $7.
To avoid handling cash, non-members are required to pre-pay their booking fee.
You can pay by Paypal. If you are not a Paypal member, you can use Paypal to pay by credit or debit card.
If you need to cancel, please advise the leader as soon as possible, so that someone else has the opportunity.
There will be no refunds, so please do not book unless you are fully committed to walking.
What to bring
• Day pack
• Sufficient water (2 litres, more on hot summer days)
• Lunch and snacks
• Hat, sun screen
• Suitable outdoor clothing (no jeans/sneakers!)
• Rainwear & warm jacket
• Proper walking shoes/boots
• Hand Sanitiser
Refer to our Gear Checklist page for more details. If you are not properly equipped, the walk leader can decide not to let you participate on this walk.
- You should not be attending this event if you are Covid-19 positive and/or are required to be in quarantine or isolation.
- If you have any Covid-19 symptoms or are a contact of someone with Covid-19, please follow the instructions in the Coronavirus Victoria website.
Safety and Ambulance Insurance
We strongly recommend that you have Ambulance cover. If conditions are hazardous, the walk may be cancelled. If any doubts at all, check your emails the night before and the morning of the event. For more details refer to Joining a walk and your safety
Still have questions?
Check out What happens on a walk.
Check out Day walks and social activities.
Contact the leader using the “Enquiry” button.
January 14, 2024 9:45 am
January 14, 2024 3:30 pm