I hope everyone enjoyed their break and are ready for a new decade of walking. Unfortunately we are off to a difficult start with the bush fires. It is so very sad to see the devastation for both humans, wildlife and our habitat. We can’t thank our firefighters and other emergency responders enough.
Cancellation decision, timing and communication
We do not want to impose any extra burden on our emergency responders so we need to be respectful of warnings and guidance. The cancellation of a walk may need to occur at short notice, preferably no later than the night before, but sometimes it may even be necessary on the morning of walk.
Accordingly for the next couple of months it’s important you keep checking our website and your email the night before and the morning of any walk to make sure you are aware of cancelled events – cancellations of any walks will be noted on the website and meetup. We will do what we can to arrange alternatives, however safety must come first.
New air quality criteria for cancellation
As a result of the current bush fire situation, air quality conditions now also need to be considered when determining whether a walk will be cancelled, in addition to our existing severe weather criteria such as temperature above 38 degrees and fire rating of ‘severe’ or higher.