Dandenong Ranges – Sherbrooke Forest – Half Day walk
Distance: 11 km
This will be a half day walk starting at around 8.30am in Kallista and taking in parts of both east and west Sherbrooke Forest. Highlights include some of the lesser known fire breaks and several really steep hills in close succession. Be prepared for some muddy and slippery sections, particularly if it has rained in the preceding week.
Its a solid Medium grade walk with 500m of elevation gain and descent over 11km and I would expect it would be 3.5-4 hours of walking.
Should you Participate?
We need to follow all state government guidelines regarding COVID-19, hence if you are required to be in quarantine or isolation, live in a restricted postcode (if and when designated by state government) or are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms including the following, you should NOT be doing this walk:
- Chills or sweats
- Sore throat
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Loss or change in sense of smell or taste
- Some people may also experience headache, muscle soreness, stuffy nose, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you or anyone in your household feels sick in any way, please cancel. If you become unwell during the walk please notify your Leader immediately.
If you are in a high risk category, including being elderly or having a pre-existing medical condition, you should consider carefully whether you participate as the Club will accept no liability if you choose to participate.
Refer also to the Victoria state government Coronavirus page
Social Distancing and Good Hygiene
Before, during and after the walk, please practice social distancing and good hygiene to minimise the risk of infection: Hygiene and physical distancing
• Carry a mask and wear it when required by the state government.
• Maintain a distance of 1.5 metres between yourself and other walkers.
• Do not share food / water / equipment, or shake hands.
• Use tissues and do not dispose of these in the bush. Carry a plastic bag for disposing of tissues.
• Cough or sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
• Wash hands or use hand sanitiser when required.
If you are not able to practice good hygiene your Leader will ask you to leave the walk.
Transport to and from the walk location is by car. Please indicate your transport requirements and preferences on the booking request form when you book in.
If you don’t have a car, we can’t guarantee to provide you with a lift – this will depend on available drivers and their locations.
Drivers can choose whether they wish to take passengers or not.
For drivers who agree to accept a passenger, the Victorian State Government guidelines during Victoria’s CovidSafe restrictions are:
You can have passengers in your car. Where possible:
- your passenger should sit in the back seat in order to maintain physical distancing;
- all passengers should wear a fitted face mask in the car if not from your household;
- increase ventilation in the vehicle by opening windows wherever possible and avoid having air-conditioning on recirculate;
- clean and disinfect high touch surfaces in the vehicle regularly.
Passengers must pay the driver their share of car-pooling costs as described on the Car-pooling page. Please bring cash for this purpose.
Booking is required for this walk. The Leader will confirm your acceptance on the walk, or not, via email. The leader will provide details of where and when to meet.
If you need to cancel, please advise the leader as soon as possible, so that someone else has the opportunity.
Members: free. Non-members: $7.
To avoid handling cash, non-members are required to pre-pay their booking fee.
Unless there are exceptional circumstances (e.g. you need to cancel because you are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms), there will be no refunds.
So please do not book unless you are fully committed to walking.
Payment by Paypal or card is the quickest method, but if you choose to pay by EFT please follow the instruction to email the Treasurer with your payment details.
What to bring
• Hand Sanitiser
• Face Mask
• Day pack
• Sufficient water (2 litres, more on hot summer days)
• Lunch and snacks
• Hat, sun screen
• Suitable outdoor clothing (no jeans/sneakers!)
• Rainwear & warm jacket
• Proper walking shoes/boots
Refer to our Gear Checklist page for more details. If you are not properly equipped, the walk leader can decide not to let you participate on this walk.
Still have questions?
Check out Joining a walk and your safety
Check out What happens on a walk.
Check out Day walks and social activities.
Check out our Covid-19 status.
Contact the leader using the “Enquiry” button.
May 22, 2021 8:30 am
May 22, 2021 5:00 pm